Another Sunset Cookbook recipe using traditional Indian spices in addition to hot chili oil and nonfat sour cream to temper the spicy flavors a bit.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slivers
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin slivers
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- cilantro leaf
- Cut potatoes crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Melt butter in a wide nonstick frying pan or wok over medium high heat. Add potatoes, bell pepper, onion, cumin, coriander, hot chile oil and 3 tablespoons water. Stir-fry gently until potatoes are tinged with brown and tender when pierced (about 15 minutes); do not scorch. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if pan appears dry.
- Remove pan from heat. Sprinkle potato mixture with chopped cilantro and mix gently. Spoon into a serving bowl, top with sour cream, and garnish with cilantro sprigs. Add salt to taste.