Recipe by manushag
Takes some time to put together, but is well worth it. Great prepare ahead meal for a dinner party where you would like to actually join the party! Can use any meats or seafood desired.
- 1 dozen clam, cleaned
- 1 dozen mussels, cleaned
- 1⁄2 cup ham, cubes
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 4 lobster tails
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves (or more)
- 2 cups rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄4 cup pimento strips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut sausage in chunks and brown in HUGE skillet or paella pan on top of stove in hot oil. (You must use a pan with a lid that can go in the oven).
- Remove sausage from pan and add chicken parts, and brown on both sides. I usually use thighs. Meat doesn't need to be cooked through, only browned on the outside.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Chop onion and green pepper and garlic and saute until soft, in same pan, don't brown. Turn off heat.
- Add chopped tomato, rice, saffron, ham, sausages, chicken, salt and chicken broth and stir.
- Top with clams, mussels, shrimp, lobster tails (cut in two, if desired). Make sure clams and mussels are closed tightly. Discard any that won't close on their own when tapped.
- Cover pan and put in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through.
- Add peas and pimento about 5 minutes before taking out of oven. Discard any clams or mussels that don't open.