This is just a wonderful soup... a winter-time favorite!
Make and share this Hubby's Favorite French Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a large nonstick pot melt butter over med-high heat. Stir in onions to coat with butter. Cook uncovered 10 minutes stirring often.
- Reduce to medium low heat and cook for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
- Stir in broth, water, pepper, thyme and bay leaf- bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Place toasted bread in the bottom of oven proof bowls, add onion soup and top with mozzarella. Sprinkle with Parmesan. * do not use glass bowls*.
- Set oven to broil.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
This soup is so yummy. The flavor is just perfect. I used fresh thyme leaves. Thanks Donner :) Made for cookbook tag game
Yum! This was simple and very good. I placed the bread on top of the soup to hold the cheese. Thanks for sharing Donner. Made for Cookbook Tag.