Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A New york deli classic. Some of these sandwiches can be HUGE and are really a marvel (and easily shared).
- 2 lbs cooked and thinly sliced beef pastrami
- 4 -8 slices havarti cheese
- coarse grind mustard (optional)
- dill pickle slices (optional)
- thinly sliced onion (optional)
- 8 -16 slices artisan rye bread or 4 -8 sandwich buns
- 1 cup beef broth
- Simmer pastrami in broth until hot.
- Divide meat among bread, using 4 ounces for smaller sandwich, and 8 ounces for large.
- Add cheese, mustard, pickles, and onions to taste.
- Grill sandwich until toasty and crisp if desired.
- Serve warm with chips if desired.
Great sandwich! I made this on rye bread that I toasted before assembling the sandwich. The pastrami was very tender from simmering in the broth, so the meat just melted in the mouth. I drained the pastrami before putting on the bread so that the sandwich would not be soggy.
To Anonymous, I have been living on a sailboat in Panama for close to ten years and only recently had any access to any pastrami, haven't seen rye bread yet, but really appreciated the recipe and we don't all have a deli around the corner.
Might as well just go to a deli and order a sandwich.... as you are already buying pre-made pastrami.