Recipe by Aunt Willie
Much better than store-bought. Quick and easy. From the Dallas Morning News.
Top Review by Yankiwi
Delicious and easy, made with common ingredients and no "thickeners". Don't worry if it seems a little thin after the six minutes are up. It thickens up when poured on ice cream. I was skeptical on my first batch so boiled it some more. It came out like chewy caramel. I adhered to the recipe the second time and it was perfect. Both batches were delicious though.
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cocoa and butter (don't use margarine!) in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Melt and blend thoroughly, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour in boilinb water and blend.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup, but do not stir.
- Cover and bring to a low boil, allowing it to boil for 3 minutes without stirring.
- Uncover and boil 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Allow to cool a bit more before enjoying over ice cream or warm cake.