Recipe by patriciamercer84
Here's a quick, easy, and delicious, piping hot crab dip, perfect for a winter gathering. The base is cream cheese, mayo and crab. We've dressed ours up with green onions, parsley, horseradish, slivered almonds and Tabasco. The proportions are guidelines, really this is to taste.
Top Review by rigalich
I have made this several times, with different cooking techniques - in the oven, or a combination of the microwave and griller (broiler)! As a variation, I don't always add the butter, spinach, green onions, parsley or parmesan cheese. It is just a popular. For a fast method, I soften the cream cheese in the microwave (which also warms it) then mix in the rest of the ingredients. And rather than mixing the almonds in, I put a layer of them over the top of the dish, and then place under the griller until the almonds are toasted. And serve with a cob torn into pieces. Viola! Really fast and easy. And yes, I do use canned crab!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 green onions, sliced, greens included
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 1⁄2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh lump crabmeat (or a can of crab meat)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, water, onions, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and parsley until smooth. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and horseradish.
- In a small skillet melt butter over medium heat. Once butter melts add spinach and cook just until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the mixing bowl.
- Fold in the slivered almonds, spinach and lump crab meat. Place in an oven-proof casserole serving dish.
- Bake until bubbly and heated through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, stir and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Turn on the broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes or until top is browned and edges are bubbly.
- Serve with crackers or thinly sliced baguette.