Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mom learned this in Home Ec class way back in the 1930-something. It's been passed down to all the children & grandchildren as a Family Treasure! Don't bother with homemade pound cake for this recipe- the frozen kind works perfectly! You will need a double boiler to make this sauce.
- Fill bottom of double boiler with enough water to fill about 3-4 inches high. In a seperate saucepan, bring another 2 cups of water to boil.
- Combine all dry ingredients in top of double boiler, stirring well to remove any lumps. Add enough boiling water to make a thick paste. Stir until smooth.
- Place onto the bottom half, over the boiling water. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups boiling water from the other pan. Keep stirring until the water is fully incorporated.
- Add the butter, continue to stir while the butter melts into the sauce. Keep stirring another 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens to an "unset pudding" consistency. If it thickens too much, feel free to add more boiling water.
- When it is as thick as you like, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Serve over the sliced pound cake.
This is a really nice sauce. I served it over Coconut Loaf with strawberries. Be warned though it makes a lot of sauce (about 3 cups) so I am hoping it saves well in the fridge. I put the cocoa and the flour through a sieve in the first steps to ensure a smooth sauce and that worked very well. Has a nice taste but is a bit overly sweet so next time I will cut the sugar back by about a 1/4 cup. Made for Went to the Market tag game.