My mom learned this in Home Ec class way back in the 1930-something. It's been passed down to all the children & grandchildren as a Family Treasure! Don't bother with homemade pound cake for this recipe- the frozen kind works perfectly! You will need a double boiler to make this sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fill bottom of double boiler with enough water to fill about 3-4 inches high. In a seperate saucepan, bring another 2 cups of water to boil.
- 2Combine all dry ingredients in top of double boiler, stirring well to remove any lumps. Add enough boiling water to make a thick paste. Stir until smooth.
- 3Place onto the bottom half, over the boiling water. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups boiling water from the other pan. Keep stirring until the water is fully incorporated.
- 4Add the butter, continue to stir while the butter melts into the sauce. Keep stirring another 10-15 minutes, until the sauce thickens to an "unset pudding" consistency. If it thickens too much, feel free to add more boiling water.
- 5When it is as thick as you like, stir in the vanilla extract.
- 6Serve over the sliced pound cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Chocolate Sauce over Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 292.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 1.5 g