Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick flash-fry.. ideal for cooking in a hurry. Serve with plain or fried rice. Please note, you may add an additional teaspoon of corn flour if you find the sauce has not thickened up.
- 300 g prawns, shelled and de-veined (defrosted if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or any flavourless oil)
- 5 -6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 red chilies, chopped (de-seeded if you wish)
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, mixed with
- 5 tablespoons water
- 150 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat a wok over high heat, and add the oil.
- Add in the chopped garlic, ginger and chillies, and stir fry for about 30 seconds, until the chillies have darkened (but careful not to let it burn).
- Add the prawns and continue frying for about 4-5 minutes - until they turn pink.
- Stir in the tomato ketchup, soy sauce, sugar and the cornflour mixture and bring to a simmer and pour in the boiling water.
- Add in lime juice and give it all a good stir till the sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with spring onion and chopped coriander and serve straightaway.
This made an excellent, quick lunch for four people with some steamed white rice. I used Rice Bran Oil for stir-frying and butterflied the prawns before cooking. Otherwise, I kept everything exactly as stated. The lime juice really lifts the flavour. Yum! Thanks A&A!