Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a real good sweet & sour sauce--full of chunky little tidbits that are so good. It makes about 3 cups. It will stay good in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice from pineapple.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, can of tomatoes, onion, soy sauce, ginger and pineapple; simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and reserved pineapple juice; stir till smooth.
- Add to the cooked pineapple mixture when mixture is done cooking.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes or till slightly thickened,Remove from heat and cool.
- Refrigerate till cold.
I made up this recipe and served it with vegetarian meatballs (brand-name Nate). It was absolutely delicious. I had a food processor and it made it easy to chop up all those onions. Yes, there were a lot of onions since I was serving 75 people at a Luau. I had made up samples of 4 other sweet-sour sauces that were here on the Recipezaar website. Of all of them, this had just the right texture and taste. The vinegar I used was basalmic vinegar. So it was darker and I felt it complimented the meatballs better. I rejected two other recipes because I didn't care for the taste. I did use the Sweet-Sour Sauce for Meatballs & Wings recipe for my Hawaiian Enchiladas, and it was a good choice for them. I'm sure you would enjoy this as it has a nice rich flavor. Irene T.
this looks like a really goood sweet and sour sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!