Recipe by faith58
These are so good they taste like a name brand candy outlet when you use the nuts. You can make these without nuts too. I use more nuts than called for and use 2 cups total of half & half. Got this recipe from a friend and everyone loves it. I put them in the refrigerator until starts to set and then I take them out so they don't get too hard. Enjoy!! If for some reason they set too long and get hard, pop them in the microwave for a few for a nice warm chewy caramel.
Top Review by donna864
I used this because I didn't have the sweetened condensed milk that mine called for. I only cooked to 225 degrees because I was looking for a dipping sauce and not solid caramels. It tastes delicious. I will see how the consistency is once it cools. Thanks for a great recipe.
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring slow to a boil the sugar, corn syrup, butter and 1 cup of the half & half. Then gradually stir in 1 more cup of cream. Stir frequently as mixture begins to thicken. then constantly stir as it darkens.
- Cook to 254 degrees ( a little dropped into cold water forms a hard ball) I find this takes about an hour.
- Pour into buttered cookie sheet with 1/2 cup broken nuts scattered over bottom.
- Put in refrigerator until they begin to set and take out. When cold, cut into squares.
- Wrap individually in small pieces of saran wrap.