Easy Homemade Caramels
- Ready In:
1 1/4 pounds
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 1⁄8 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Add brown sugar and salt, stir in corn syrup. Mix well.
- Stirring constantly add milk gradually.
- Stir over medium heat until candy reaches soft ball stage--242°F.
- Remove from heat,add vanilla.
- Pour into buttered 8x8-inch dish.
- Cool for 4-6 hours.
- Cut into small squares and wrap in wax paper.
- Note:It took approximately 25 minutes of stirring and cooking to reach soft ball stage. Also I refrigerated the candy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Susan, I live in northern Minnesota. I am married with 2 children. I love to cook. I love having the family over or friends and treating them to a good meal. My husband says I was a good cook before Recipezaar,Iv'e just gotten better. Thanks to all of you and the recipe reviews system..I have tried so many new recipes, but still have my own favorites which I have listed and I hope you will give a try...We like texmex,salads and soups...I am so happy I found all the Olive Garden soups on recipezaar.