Great on salads, sandwiches, appetizer trays. Use your favorite vinegar as long as it's 5% acidity. For darker colored product use half and half of 5% Balsamic and red wine vinegers. NOTE: Instead of throwing out the stem trims, use them in this chowder recipe: Chopped Mushroom Stems and Scallop Chowder.
- Sterilize 6 half-pints jars. Note: Use half-pint jars ONLY.
- Thoroughly wash soil off mushrooms.
- Cut off stems within 1/4 inch of cap.
- In a deep pot, place mushrooms with enough water to cover.
- Add the lemon juice. Bring to boil and simmer 5-minutes. Drain.
- While 'shrooms are simmering, place a garlic clove and 5 peppercorns in each jar.
- To a saucepan, add oil, vinegar, herbs, salt, sugar, onions. Bring to boil.
- Gently add the mushrooms and combine with the pickling marinade.
- Fill jars with hot mushroom mixture leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Release bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust caps.
- Process half-pints for 20 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Yield 6 half-pints.