Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I spent an day looking after a family members home while workmen were there to install a new security entranceway (they are away on holiday) so to keep me busy I decided to go through their cookbooks looking for some recipes to post on 'zaar.
- 1 kg lamb, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup leek, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup verjus
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock, reduced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon mint jelly
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup parsnip, diced
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mint relish
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1 cup chat potato, diced and parboiled
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry, cut into 8 equal squares, follow directions to bake
- mint relish, extra to garnish
- rosemary sprig, to garnish
- Toss cubed lamb in flour seasoned generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat equal quantities of oil and butter in pan and lightly brown lamb, then transfer to a large heave based pot.
- Saute onions, leeks and garlic in same frying pan used for browning lamb.
- Add red wine to deglaze pan (you can leave the veggies in the pot to do this) then add to the large pot.
- Add verjus, stock, tomato paste, mint jelly, brown sugar, lemon rind, worcestershire sauce. Simmer on low heat 1-2 hours or until lamb becomes tender, stirring occasionally.
- Then add carrots, potatoes, parsnips, apple, mint relish, rosemary, mint and parsley.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add potatoes and the peas and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- To finish, place pie mix into serving bowls topping each with a square of baked pastry.
- Garnish with 1 teaspoon of mint relish (optional) and a sprig of rosemary.