Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I made this soup from a recipe I found in a Canadian magazine, but made a couple of yummy adaptations. It tastes better the longer it simmers, so you might want to let this one sit on the stove for a little while. This is a filling and tasty soup.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons brown rice
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a stock pot on medium heat. Stir until onions are transparent.
- Stir in corn and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock, black beans, rice, and chili sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cornstarch (dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water) and salt and pepper.
- Simmer until thickened and rice is cooked (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- Serve soup garnished with tortilla chips, sour cream, or cilantro or parsley.