Eat! Eat! You're skin and bones!'s Note:
I made this soup from a recipe I found in a Canadian magazine, but made a couple of yummy adaptations. It tastes better the longer it simmers, so you might want to let this one sit on the stove for a little while. This is a filling and tasty soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons brown rice
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat olive oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a stock pot on medium heat. Stir until onions are transparent.
- 2Stir in corn and cook for about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in vegetable stock, black beans, rice, and chili sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes and cornstarch (dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water) and salt and pepper.
- 5Simmer until thickened and rice is cooked (about 20 to 25 minutes).
- 6Serve soup garnished with tortilla chips, sour cream, or cilantro or parsley.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.8
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 174.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: