2 hrs 30 mins
I made this recently using chopped sirloin, it was really good! If you have any dried chipotle chili powder then throw in a tablesoon. You can use wine in place of the beer if desired. Serve this with crusty buns and a side salad, this dish is delicious! I strongly advise to make this a day ahead and refrigerate, the flavors will blend together to create a more intense flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil (more as needed)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional, add in if you like extreme heat!)
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (I just use the ones packed in the jar)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons cumin (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups consomme or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onion
- sour cream
- 1In a shallow dish mix together flour, seasoning salt and cayenne pepper.
- 2Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or pot.
- 3Toss the sirloin with the flour mixture to coat, then brown well on all sides shaking off any excess flour then remove to a plate or bowl.
- 4In the same pot saute the onions and dried chili flakes (if using) for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add in green and red bell peppers with jalapeno peppers and garlic; cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- 6Add in chili powder, cumin and oregano, then return the browned beef back to the pot along with any juices from the plate or bowl.
- 7Pour in beer and consumme or beef broth; stir with a wooden spoon and bring to a boil.
- 8Cover and reduce heat to a simmer; cook 1-1/2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- 9After the 1-1/2 hours, add in the crushed tomatoes and cook for another 35-40 minutes.
- 10Add in black beans and kidney beans, season with salt and pepper; simmer for another 20 minutes.
- 11Ladle into bowls then top with sour cream cheese and onions.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Sirloin Chili
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.3
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 90.7 mg
- Sodium 716.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: