Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't remember where this came from, but about 25 years ago I was given this recipe and it has become one of our family favorites. Go ahead, add your own family's favorites to this wonderful soup. More of this, less of that. Ahhh, comforting and yummmm!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Cook ground beef and onion in a 4 quart Dutch oven, stirring frequently, until beef if brown.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Break up tomatoes, heat to boiling, then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 15 minutes, stir occasionally, until macaroni is tender.
- Top with cheese, if desired.
One bowl of this soup, a piece of hard bread and you'll be stuffed. This was good and very filling! I added 1 extra cup of zucchini, 8 ounces frozen corn for the canned, a 15 ounce can of kidney beans as I did not have the smaller amount then topped my bowl with a little black pepper. This is a wonderful recipe to use that leftover head of cabbage in. Thank you for posting. Now, I'm going to make my way to the recliner. Made for *Healthy Choices ABC Tag 2009* game
Terrific. Used ditallini noodles, two pints of homemade canned tomatoes. Accidently used black beans, but they were good. Will make again!