Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is based on a recipe for minestrone soup.
Make and share this Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup With Greens recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb dried white bean (whatever kind you like)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 lb potato, skin on, cut in large chunks
- 1 lb boneless beef rib, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 quart beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb swiss chard, cut into 1/2 inch shreds, stems and all (or use shredded or chunked cabbage)
- 2 cups uncooked small macaroni noodles
- grated parmesan cheese
- Rinse the beans, put in a small pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, until tender.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, but now browned. Lower the heat if necessary.
- While the onions are cooking, prepare the carrots and potatoes, and add each to the pot when they are ready.
- Stir to coat the vegetables with oil, and saute until the onions are tender and the vegetables just start to brown.
- Add the beef and continue cooking until the beef is cooked and the liquid has cooked away.
- Stir in the garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add enough broth to cover the mixture by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for 2 to 4 hours.
- When almost ready to serve, bring the soup back to a boil and add the macaroni, beans and chard.
- Cook until the macaroni is tender.
- Serve with parmesan sprinkled on top.