Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very tasty meatloaf with a great topping.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 3 slices ground in a food processor)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup frozen unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the meat, bread crumbs, egg whites, onion, salt, pepper, 1 cup of the tomato sauce and 1 T of the worcestershire sauce in a large bowl.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a 7x11 inch baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and pour off any fat that has accumulated in the pan.
- Combine the remaining tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce, the mustard, vinegar, and apple juice concentrate in a small bowl.
- Pour over the meat loaf.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, until the sauce is hot and bubbly, about 15 minutes more, basting every 5 minutes.
- Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Good served hot or cold.