Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Beans, cheese, guacamole, salsa... how could this recipe possibly be GOOD for someone? It is though and it is absolutely delicious. Full of vibrant colours and flavours, this is sure to be a hit at any get together. No one will be able to tell it is lower in fat than your standard layered nacho dips and before you know it, they dish will be empty and they'll be begging for more! Do yourself a favour and make a big batch. :) This recipe comes from the fantastic dynamic duo from the "Eat, Shrink and Be Merry" tv series. ***note*** cook time is time it takes to chill.
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups light sour cream (5%)
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 3 large avocados
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) container light garden vegetable cream cheese spread
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black olives, minced (optional)
- First Layer (Bottom): Place beans, 1 cup sour cream and 2tbsp of the taco seasoning in the bowl of a mini food processor and puree until smooth. Spread evenly over bottom of 8 x 11 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Cover and refrigerate with plastic wrap while you make second layer.
- Second Layer: Place peas and green chiles (with their liquid) in the bowl of a mini food processor and puree until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Peel and pit avocados and place pieces in a large bowl. Toss with lime juice and garlic. Mash well using a potato masher. Add pureed peas, minced onions, 1 tbsp of the fresh chopped cilantro, the remaining tbsp of taco seasoning, salt/pepper and mix well. Spread evenly over bean layer. Cover and refrigerate while you make third layer.
- Third Layer: In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sour cream and cream cheese until well blended. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over guacamole.
- Fourth Layer: Spread salsa over cream cheese layer.
- Fifth Layer: (Cheesy Decorations) Sprinkle grated cheddar evenly over salsa. Top with chopped lettuce, followed by red pepper, green onions and black olives (if using). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Serve with multigrain or baked nacho chips.