1/2 Photos of Healthier Green Bean Casserole
This sounds similar to my mom's green bean casserole but a healthier version and quicker too as it is cooked in a skillet instead of the oven. Recipe source: Cook's Illustrated
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed (or minced garlic)
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1In a small bowl toss together shallots, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
- 2In a skillet heat 3 tablespoon oil over medium high heat; add shallots and cook until golden and crisp (5 minutes).
- 3Transfer shallots with the oil to baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- 4Wipe out skillet and return to medium high heat, adding remaining oil (2 tablespoons), mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt, cooking stirring until browned (8 - 10 minutes). Transfer to plate and set aside.
- 5Wipe out skillet and heat butter over medium heat, adding onion when butter melts, cooking stirring occasionally until edges brown (2 minutes).
- 6Stir in garlic and remaining flour (1 tablespoon), green beans, thyme and bay leaves.
- 7Stir in cream, broth, increasing heat to medium high, cover and cook until beans are tender (4-5 minutes).
- 8Stir in mushrooms, continuing to cook uncovered until beans are tender and sauce thickens (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 9Discard bay leaves and thyme, season with salt and pepper.
- 10Transfer to serving dish, sprinkling with reserved shallots.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthier Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.9
- Calories from Fat 240
- Total Fat 26.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.9 mg
- Sodium 145.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 5.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: