Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I've had this recipe for quite a while and can't remember if it came from a magazine or on the internet. I do know these ribs are delicious! I usually have to double the recipe for my family because my DH could eat his weight in these ribs. Have plenty of napkins on hand...they're messy. Enjoy!
- 4 lbs spareribs, cut in serving size pieces
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange ribs, meaty side down, in a foil lined pan.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in vinegar, chili sauce, water, undrained pineapple, onion, soy sauce, and mustard.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly; cook and stir 2 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the oven and drain the fat from the ribs.
- Turn the ribs meaty side up.
- Spoon 2 c sauce over the ribs.
- Reserve the remaining sauce in the pan.
- Cover the ribs and bake 45 minutes longer or until tender.
- Remove the ribs to a platter.
- Heat the sauce in the pan and serve with the ribs.
Fall apart tender sweet sticky ribs! I used garlic chili sauce and skipped the mustard. Added a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger. Lots of leftover sauce. Thanks. Made for ZWT 2011
Lovely ribs in so many ways. Love, love, the pineapple! I followed this exactly, even getting the correct sauce...we ate these so fast, it looked as though nothing was ever on the plate. The aroma is enough to send you into the next county. Thanks, dream! xoxoxo Made for ZWT7
Used 2 racks of baby back ribs, uncut. Made one rack with BBQ sauce & the other with this Hawaiian recipe. Did not use Heinz chili sauce, made my own using Lee Kum Kee's chili garlic sauce which is quite spicy(about 1 heaping TBSP) mixed with ketchup. Also only used 2 tablespoons cornstarch instead of 3 which worked just fine. Let me just say everyone was looking for seconds but unfortunately there was none. This is a keeper for me!!