Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Yummy coconut custard! Cook time is chill time. Recipe from Sam Choy.
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot bring the coconut milk, water, sugar and butter to a boil.
- In a bowl whisk together cornstarch and water.
- When the coconut milk mixture comes to a boil, whisk in the starch mixture.
- Whisk until smooth; cook on low heat until it boils.
- Pour immediately into a 2-inch sheet pan. Chill overnight. Cut into squares before serving.
This recipe worked very well. I found it like a jello or jelly as we Aussie's call it. It certainly presented very well. After it had chilled I was a little concerned that it was going to look like a blob of homemade glue on the plate. I decided to toast some shredded coconut and tossed the squares into that before putting on a platter. The coconut taste was as strong as I had first imagined either but was enjoyable just the same. Made for Spring 2008 PAC