Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was one of our favourite meals growing up and it doesn't get any easier.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 large onion, diced fine
- 3 stalks celery, diced fine
- 4 small zucchini, 1/8 inch sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup (or a teaspoon of sugar)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups water
- 10 ounces spinach, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large dutch oven or roasting pan sauté hamburger, onion, celery until meat is no longer pink and onion is translucent.
- Add Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, pepper, beef bouillon powder and rice stirring constantly to lightly toast the rice and spices, about two minutes.
- Stir in the garlic for one minute until fragrant then add tomatoes, zucchini, chicken stock, two cups of cheese and spinach if you're using stir well.
- Cover and put in oven for 45 minutes.
- Take out and sprinkle last cup of cheese evenly over top and put back in oven uncovered until cheese is bubbly (about 15 minutes).
I made this today and while it tasted pretty good, I had to cook it over 2 hours so it was not done in time for our meal. The recipe calls for long grain white rice but it doesn't specify whether it should be cooked or uncooked rice. I assumed it should be uncooked since there seemed to be so much liquid in the recipe. It was just a mess at 45 minutes and had to continue cooking it until the rice was soft which took just over 2 hours at 350. It does have good flavor and is a nice way to use up extra zucchini. You might want to edit the recipe for others who want to try it.
DH and I found this to be a very delicious dish. It was simple and I had everything on hand. Will be making this again. Thank you! Made for Spring PAC 09.