Recipe by Cream Puff
For the stuffing, you can experiment with different types of bread or flavored croutons. I especially like making my own stuffing so I can control the sodium level - and especially in this case since ham is salty anyway.
Top Review by Bergy
Lovely recipe - We enjoyed our Easter dinner. I used Turkey stuffing mix instead of the bread cubes & poultry seasoning. The cloves are a lovely flavor enhancer. I loosely covered the steak with foil for the first 30 minutes and baked it a further 20 minutes uncovered - Just right
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups toasted bread cubes or 2 cups croutons
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup diced apple
- 2 lbs ham steaks, of approximate equal size
- 8 -10 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, saute celery in butter; remove from heat and add next 7 ingredients; mix well and set aside.
- In a cup, wisk together the orange juice and melted butter; set aside.
- Slash the fat around ham to prevent it from curling, and place one of the steaks in a greased baking dish.
- Spread with apple stuffing.
- Top with remaining ham steak.
- Stud the fat around the edge with whole cloves, spacing them 1" or 1-1/2" apart.
- Bake 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until done, basting 3 or 4 times with the orange juice/butter mixture.