Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Dutch , german recipe...If I have left over ham meat, I will also add this when I add the cabbage...
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large grated carrot, or small dice
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 3 quarts chicken stock (or water)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 3/4 inch
- 3 cups chopped cabbage (1 small head)
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram or 1 tablespoon oregano (1 tsp. dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (tabasco)
- 1 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Heat oil and add onion, carrot, and bell pepper.
- Saute until soft and beginning to colour.
- Add ham bone, peppercorns, bay leaf and stock or water.
- Cover bring to a boil.
- Simmer one hour.
- Skim off foam.
- Add potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes, partially cover.
- Cook on simmer for one hour.
- Add herbs and sauce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley last, and serve immediately.
I have made this soup many times now and it has become one of my very favorites. The only thing I do different is add celery, green beans, fresh or frozen, cut. and fresh sliced mushrooms.(love my veggies lol) My whole family just loves it too. I want to thank you for sharing this recipe and i tell everyone I know how great it is. And pass it along to them. And I'm glad I could be the first to post a photo. Would have givien it 10 stars if i could........
I followed the recipe (as much as I follow any recipe) except instead of potatoes, I pureed a can of Great Northern Beans with some of the broth and added a can of tomato paste. The soup is thicker and has a few less carbs, but is delicious. Highly recommended!!
I cut this recipe in half and it still made a lot of soup. I made as is with the exception of adding tomato sauce along with the canned tomatoes because I like my soup to have more of a tomato base. I used seasoned salt instead of regular salt and did not use the optional sugar in the recipe. I really like this soup. It had a lot of flavor. I would probably add a little more potatoes next time. This is actually a pretty healthy soup. Too bad it is only my husband and I, even with cutting the recipe in half, we still have a lot of soup left. I think I will try freezing some. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.