1/1 Photo of Hainan Chicken Rice
1 hr 30 mins
A simple meal that can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Retain the stock in a separate, covered container. Complete the dish just before serving. From Family Circle Chinese & Asian Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 kg whole chickens
- 1 sprig celery leaves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely grated
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 red chilies, chopped or 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1Wash chicken under cold water. Place in a large pan with the celery leaves, peppercorns, salt and spring onion, cover with water. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave, covered, for 45 minutes.
- 2Heat the oils in a pan with a well fitting lid. Add ginger, garlic and onion and cook until soft and golden. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the oil to use for a Dipping Sauce.
- 3Add rice to pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, Add 3 cups of stock from the pan in which the chicken was cooked. Bring to the boil. Simmer until holes appear in the rice.
- 4Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid; fluff up the rice with a fork.
- 5While rice is cooking, remove the chicken from the pan, retaining the stock for the Soup. Joint Western-style or chop Chinese-style. Arrange pieces on a serving platter; keep warm.
- 6To make Dipping Sauces: Use reserved tablespoon of cooking oils and combine with grated ginger. For the second sauce, combine soy sauce and chili.
- 7To make Soup: The remaining stock may be served alongside the rice dish as a soup. Strain it, bring to the boil and add the Chinese cabbage. Pour into a bowl; sprinkle with coriander.
- 8Serve chicken, rice and Dipping Sauces with the bowl of hot chicken broth on the side.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hainan Chicken Rice
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1330.1
- Calories from Fat 664
- Total Fat 73.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 273.7 mg
- Sodium 1353.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 72.9 g