Recipe by Heydarl
A simple meal that can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Retain the stock in a separate, covered container. Complete the dish just before serving. From Family Circle Chinese & Asian Cookbook
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
This should be broken into four recipes -- mostly because I want to comment on all four parts. Every part is easy-to-make and delicious, but here are a few highlights. The chicken is tasty, but the dipping sauce gives it personality. The rice is full of flavour -- add leftovers to the soup. The soup broth is the brightest star. It really is spectacular -- enjoy it the next day, and be sure to skim the fat. In addition to leftover rice, I had some chopped roasted capsicum that was meant for another recipe, but I threw it in the soup along with the rice, cabbage and coriander. The diners -- this was served to nine teenage exchange students from seven countries -- kept saying the broth was so-o-o-o good. They are so-o-o-o right. As an aside -- the salt is important.
- 1 1⁄2 kg whole chickens
- 1 sprig celery leaves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, finely grated
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups short-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 red chilies, chopped or 1 teaspoon sambal oelek
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chicken under cold water. Place in a large pan with the celery leaves, peppercorns, salt and spring onion, cover with water. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oils in a pan with a well fitting lid. Add ginger, garlic and onion and cook until soft and golden. Set aside 1 tablespoon of the oil to use for a Dipping Sauce.
- Add rice to pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, Add 3 cups of stock from the pan in which the chicken was cooked. Bring to the boil. Simmer until holes appear in the rice.
- Cover pan tightly and reduce heat to very low. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid; fluff up the rice with a fork.
- While rice is cooking, remove the chicken from the pan, retaining the stock for the Soup. Joint Western-style or chop Chinese-style. Arrange pieces on a serving platter; keep warm.
- To make Dipping Sauces: Use reserved tablespoon of cooking oils and combine with grated ginger. For the second sauce, combine soy sauce and chili.
- To make Soup: The remaining stock may be served alongside the rice dish as a soup. Strain it, bring to the boil and add the Chinese cabbage. Pour into a bowl; sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve chicken, rice and Dipping Sauces with the bowl of hot chicken broth on the side.