Baked BBQ Chicken With Rice
photo by PeachWeb
- Ready In:
- 1hr 37mins
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken, Cut up
- 1 (28 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- 3 cups ketchup
finely chopped vegetables
- 1⁄4 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup jalapeno, cleaned well, ribs removed with a spoon
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar, to taste
- 6 cups cooked rice (that means 3 cups of uncooked rice)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Removed skin from chicken and rinse well. Set aside to dry a bit while you perform the other steps.
- Spray the (in)sides of your baking dish with cooking spray, it will make cleanup easier.
- Combine BBQ Sauce, Ketchup and sugar in the baking dish. Add in the (optional) chopped vegetables. (You don't have to stop at the ones I've listed. Also good in there is grated carrot, cauliflower, corn, eggplant, mushrooms -- whatever! Just stay away from vegetables that will introduce too much liquid like squash, cucumber and cabbage. You don't want a runny BBQ sauce.).
- Stir that all up and place your chicken in the baking dish. I like to 'toss' the chicken so it gets completely coated in the bbq.
- Cover with foil and place into oven.
- Bake for 1 hour (up to 1.5 hours -- until you see the chicken start to degrade from the bone).
- Remove foil and return to oven another 15 to 20 minutes to cook sauce on chicken.
- Serve atop or beside rice covered in the extra BBQ sauce (and vegetables, if you've added any).
- ** You can also cook this meal in your crock pot (not the rice, of course)-- just throw it all in there. and make the rice when you get home.
- ** If you have only 2 people to feed, you can do as I have done for the photo and cook up a single large breast (with skin and bone in -- for flavor) in a covered skillet along with the vegetables. Flip after 15 minutes. After another 20 to 25 minutes, pull the breast out, remove skin and debone, cut into cubes. It may not be cooked completely (especially if you threw it in there frozen), so you may see some blood . Then add BBQ Sauce, Ketchup and sugar to pan, and return the chicken to the sauce. Let cook uncovered for about 15-20 minutes to reduce sauce. Alternatively, you could (if you had time and the inclination) place the chicken cubes on a pan, coat with sauce, roast for 20-30 minutes at 400F, put it over your rice and BBW /w veg.
- The most important things to understand are: 1) it is the flavor of the chicken bones and ketchup that make the BBQ sauce mild enough to eat straight over rice, and 2) avoid vegetables that will add liquid to the sauce.
- Now, go forth and make BBQ Chicken over rice. :).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!