Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request; haven't tried it but it sure sounds good!
Top Review by HeatherFeather
How nice to have a recipe for one of my favorite German restaurant dishes. This was really delicious! I used pork schnitzels as that is what is available here in Germany. I used single cream and found it just the right amount. The colorful combination of the peppers and the mushrooms is very attractive on top of each portion and the meat came out very tender.
- 6 veal scallopini, pounded very thin
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin rings
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin rings
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- If your meat isn't very thin, pound it until it is; sprinkle both sides lightly with salt and pepper.
- Have ready beaten egg in one bowl, bread crumbs in another.
- Dip veal into egg, let excess drip off, then dip in bread crumbs; set on a rack.
- Heat oil and butter together in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Saute veal until golden on both sides, about 15 minutes total.
- Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Add onions to the skillet (you may need to add a little extra oil) and saute until limp but not brown; then add pepper rings, beef broth and mushrooms.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cream and flour, and stir this into vegetables.
- Heat until thickened, then pour over veal and serve immediately.