3 hrs 40 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Wendy H.'s Note:
A savory short rib recipe adapted from The Hungry Mouse - http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/01/20/rib-of-the-week-guinness-braised-short-ribs-plus-a-quick-primer-on-braising/
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot, and set the heat to medium high. Put the short ribs in the pot.
- 2Sprinkle the ribs with a little kosher salt, and brown them evenly on all four sides. Each should have a crust.
- 3Add onion and celery and stir to distribute them.
- 4Add Guiness and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits.
- 5Add bay leaves, black pepper, and garlic powder, and stir to combine.
- 6Increase the heat to high until the liquid comes to a boil.
- 7Lower the heat to low, and cover the pot tightly.
- 8Check after about 15 minutes to be sure the liquid is at a low bubble; decrease the heat further if boiling more rapidly.
- 9Cook at this low bubble for about 3 hours (or in 300 degree oven for about 2-1/2 hours).
- 10Skim off extra fat from the top of the mix when cooking is finished.
- 11Serve as desired, perhaps with sauerkraut and noodles or baked potatoes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guiness-Braised Short Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (4721 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3796.3
- Calories from Fat 1665
- Total Fat 185.0 g
- Saturated Fat 80.4 g
- Cholesterol 387.8 mg
- Sodium 436.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 157.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 94.1 g