Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
A savory short rib recipe adapted from The Hungry Mouse - http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/01/20/rib-of-the-week-guinness-braised-short-ribs-plus-a-quick-primer-on-braising/
- Add olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot, and set the heat to medium high. Put the short ribs in the pot.
- Sprinkle the ribs with a little kosher salt, and brown them evenly on all four sides. Each should have a crust.
- Add onion and celery and stir to distribute them.
- Add Guiness and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add bay leaves, black pepper, and garlic powder, and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high until the liquid comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low, and cover the pot tightly.
- Check after about 15 minutes to be sure the liquid is at a low bubble; decrease the heat further if boiling more rapidly.
- Cook at this low bubble for about 3 hours (or in 300 degree oven for about 2-1/2 hours).
- Skim off extra fat from the top of the mix when cooking is finished.
- Serve as desired, perhaps with sauerkraut and noodles or baked potatoes.