1/1 Photo of Grown-Up Tuna (Now Crab) Casserole
Caroline Cooks's Note:
For you empty-nesters, who love old fashioned tuna casserole. It's your turn!!! (Note: Zaar software will not recognize the word "pouches", so I used pkgs. of crab in the ingredients.) Adapted from Country Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (7 ounce) packages lump crabmeat, cut bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup brandy or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb medium egg noodles, cooked & drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1Pick the crab meat, removing any shell or cartilage. Set aside. Cook and drain noodles. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat four 1-cup-capacity baking dishes or one 9” round baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
- 2Melt remaining butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add shallots and cook until soft.
- 4Add tomato paste and garlic and cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- 5Move pan away from the heat and add brandy or chicken broth.
- 6Return to heat and bring mixture to a boil, whisking continuously.
- 7Reduce heat to medium low, add 1 cup water, and simmer until thickened slightly — about 10-12 minutes.
- 8Strain mixture and stir in cream, remaining salt, and pepper.
- 9Add egg noodles, crab meat, and lemon juice and toss to coat.
- 10Divide mixture evenly among the prepared baking dishes, cover with foil, and bake until cooked through and the noodles are hot — about 20 minutes.
- 11Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grown-Up Tuna (Now Crab) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 418.6
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 155.4 mg
- Sodium 645.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs