Recipe by SharonP
This is another Health magazine recipe and I wanted to add to my cookbook. I have not tried this as yet, but it just sounded so good. (Cooking time does not include 1 hour marinating.)
Top Review by Marikaki
I made this last night and it was amazing!! I did change some things though. I didn't add jalapeno peppers. I sometimes feel that too much hot spice takes away from the other flavors in the dish. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned.I used shallots instead of onion.Instead of the green olives I used 1/4 cup of a green olive tapenade. I also added 1/2 cup of white wine to the olive mixture as well as 1/4 cup of raisins. The raisins offset the olive and caper tartness. Do not add the cilantro until the very end or that great flavor will be cooked off!
- 6 (6 ounce) grouper fillets
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated lime rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions (about 1 large)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub both sides of fillets with garlic.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Arrange fillets in a single layer in a large shallow dish.
- Add lime rind and juice, turning to coat.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute 5 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in olives and next 6 ingredients (olives through tomatoes).
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in capers.
- Remove from pan.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat.
- Add fillets, cooking 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with fork.
- Pour tomato mixture over fillets and cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving size: 1 fillet and 1/2 cup tomato sauce.