Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Delicious South African curry recipe!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots
- 1 cup peas
- Brown meat and onions in oil.
- Stir in salt, pepper, curry powder and turmeric and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add jam, vinegar, sugar, tomato and water and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook 30 minute.
- Add frozen peas and warm through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice and Mrs. Balls Peach Chutney.
I like the curry and turmeric flavours in this dish, but not the vinegar as much. I'm thinking the first simmering could be shorter and once potatoes and carrots are added, it could simmer longer...these veggies were only just done at 30 min and didn't carry the curry flavour of the dish. A crockpot may indeed be a way to enhance and round out the quality of this curry for me. Thanks for posting.
This recipie was very tasty, though we found it needed a little something more so we added a dash of cummin and a dash of hot pepper sauce. We also found it took about double the time to cook. Next time we will use a crockpot.