This soup takes advantage of summer vegetables bursting with flavor. If you find fresh small cannellini or other fresh beans, be sure to use them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, split and thinly sliced
- 1 celery, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 parsnip, finely diced
- 1 small kohlrabi or 1 small turnip, diced
- 5 1/2 ounces fresh peas (or frozen)
- 2 small zucchini, cut into fourths lengthwise and sliced
- 14 ounces small cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 ounces spinach leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a large pan- Cook the onion and leek over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the celery, carrot, and garlic, then cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 3Add the water, potato, parsnip, kohlrabi or turnip, and green beans- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover, simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the peas, zucchini, and small cannellini beans and season to taste- Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- 5Meanwhile, make the pesto: Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary (Alternatively, pound together using a pestle and mortar.).
- 6Add the spinach to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes- Stir a spoonful of the pesto into the soup.
- 7Ladle into bowls and serve the remaining pesto separately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.1
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.6 mg
- Sodium 487.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 13.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: