Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup takes advantage of summer vegetables bursting with flavor. If you find fresh small cannellini or other fresh beans, be sure to use them.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, split and thinly sliced
- 1 celery, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 parsnip, finely diced
- 1 small kohlrabi or 1 small turnip, diced
- 5 1⁄2 ounces fresh peas (or frozen)
- 2 small zucchini, cut into fourths lengthwise and sliced
- 14 ounces small cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 1⁄2 ounces spinach leaves, cut into thin ribbons
- salt and pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large pan- Cook the onion and leek over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrot, and garlic, then cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, potato, parsnip, kohlrabi or turnip, and green beans- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cover, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the peas, zucchini, and small cannellini beans and season to taste- Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto: Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary (Alternatively, pound together using a pestle and mortar.).
- Add the spinach to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes- Stir a spoonful of the pesto into the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and serve the remaining pesto separately.