Recipe by Sue Lau
Adapted from a recipe I found on the internet. I made some changes and it turned out pretty good. If you like it spicy, add a chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper. If you just like savory, leave that part out.
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth or 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 poblano peppers, stemmed,seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno peppers or 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Place chopped peppers and broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Allow mixture to cool (if you blend it hot, it will fly out of the blender and burn you), then puree in a blender (broth and all) along with cilantro and salt.
- Place onion and rice into a saucepan with the oil, and cook, stirring, until rice is opaque and onions are tender.
- Add garlic and cook briefly, until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir in broth mixture from the blender.
- Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Allow to sit with the pan lid on away from heat for 12-15 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.