Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great way to use some of that zucchini from your garden or grocery store sale. Very tasty too ;-)
- 10 cups zucchini, grated
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, grated
- 5 tablespoons canning salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Use only fresh, firm med sized zucchini.
- Wash and dry, but do not peel.
- Grate removing large seeds.
- Mix zucchini, onions, green pepper and canning salt.
- Let sit overnight.
- Drain and rinse mixture in cold water.
- Put mixture in large kettel.
- Add vinegar and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Pack in hot sterilized pint jars.
- Cover with sterilized lids and hotwater process for 20 minutes.
- Ready to eat right away, but it's better if it ages a few days.
I very much liked this relish. I did add 3 T. more cornstarch at the end of the cooking time and cooked 1 more minute to thicken it. I will keep this recipe for next years crop.
Just made this up with my monster zuccinni. I doubled the recipe with no problems. I canned 21 8oz canning jars with about 6oz. left over for tasting. It is really good and I think I will make some more as I have zuccinni coming out of my ears! I added a small chilli pepper and used red peppers instead of green. It looks very pretty as well as tastes great.
I added some red and yellow peppers to this for the color. It turned out great! I gave some away to daughter and son in law and he wanted the recipe soon as he tasted it so I passed it along. My mother has already used all hers and wants more LOL. I am making up another batch tonight with the last of the zucchini from our garden. Thanks so much!