Gladys' Zucchini Relish
photo by Garnet M.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 10 cups fresh zucchini, unpeeled and ground (about 4 large)
- 4 cups ground onions
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups white vinegar
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- Mix first 3 listed ingredients together well and let stand overnight.
- In morning, drain; rinse in cold water and drain again.
- In large kettle mix the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- After a boil is reached, add the zucchini mix along with the green and red sweet pepper.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Pour into hot jars and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes, to seal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was gifted with a large bag of zucchini & squash so came searching for a recipe to try to make a relish. I was lucky when I found this one! The relish is stellar!! I used a mixture of squash to equal 6 cups, added 2 grated carrots, and 4 cups of cabbage. After soaking the veggies overnight I discovered I was out of tumeric so I substituted sweet curry powder. The relish is <b>wonderful!</b> Sweet, sour, and so much flavor. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will be using it all summer.
see 11 more reviews