Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is by far my favourite way of eating tempeh. I am craving it right now! You can make it vegan by using vegan tzatziki.
- Slice tempeh medium thin.
- Marinate in olive oil, soy sauce, crushed garlic, dried oregano and lemon juice. After 1 hour (or longer) saute in frying pan until crispy.
- Meanwhile mix diced tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and a drizzle of oil in a small bowl.
- Heat pita on each side in frying pan.
- To assemble, place pita on a plate, lay tempeh over pita, spoon on tomato and cucumber mixture and top with tzatziki.
- I eat mine with a knife and fork, but my husband prefers to fold his in half and eat with his hands. Either way, this is my favourite tempeh dish!
This was actually pretty good. Now that I've fixed it once I'll know a little better on how to fix it next time. I would definitely allow time to let both the tempeh and the vegetable mixture marinate. I would also add some fresh chopped cilantro as a garnish to top the dish off after being completed. Unlike what the recipe says in regards to slicing the tempeh, I crumbled mine up, for me this is easier to mix in the other ingredients (they all mesh better that way) and also easier to cook/fry and spoon/scoop out of the pan and into or onto a pita. I didn't know what tzatziki was and my local organic grocery store didn't either, so I picked up some Cucumber & Shallot vinaigrette and that seemed to work just fine. What was a really special treat was gently warming both the tempeh mixture and the vegetable mixture (separately or together) a day later as leftovers over a warm pita and it was 10 times more delicious than the day of cooking, letting the flavors gel and marinate really make a difference with this recipe. Also, this is a great recipe to make ahead of time and just scoop/spoon as you need for a day or two (or three) for a quick and delicious meal for lunch or on the run! (and healthy I might add)
This was my first attempt at cooking with tempeh and I liked the idea of the gyros. I made as stated but instead of the balsamic and oil used home made Greek salad dressing. I toasted my pitas in the toaster oven and next time will use the pan method as I thought they were too crunchy. These were excellent and filling, I'll make them again for sure. Thanks for posting, erinn in tbay!
My first-ever attempt to prepare tempeh and it was just great. The marinating is the key, and broiling until crisp. I didn't have plain yogurt and I didn't want onion, so mine was more like a TLT in a pita.