Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Takes potato salad to another level altogether!
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, halved and sliced crosswise,¼ inch thick
- 1 small red onion, halved and sliced thin crosswise
- 1 1⁄2 cups kalamata olives, pitted and cut into slivers
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 cloves unpeeled garlic
- 1 teaspoon crumbled oregano
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cilantro or 1⁄2 cup parsley
- Steam potatoes in batches, covered, for 6-8 minutes, or until just tender and, in a large bowl, combine with the onion, olives, capers, and hard-boiled eggs.
- Boil garlic for 5 minutes and peel it.
- In a blender, puree garlic with oregano, vinegar and oil.
- Add feta and blend dressing until it is combined well.
- Toss potatoes with dressing and cilantro and season to taste.
This is a recipe that really should be prepared the day before serving so the flavors can properly meld. The day I originally made and served it, it was nice. The leftovers the next night were delicious. I have changed my rating from 4 to 5 stars based on the leftovers. The rest of my original review stands: I made 1/3 of the recipe and it served 4 people (adults) as a side dish with grilled chicken and corn. If anyone else would like to only make as much as a pound of potatoes makes, this translates into the following measurable ingredients: 1/2 cup olives, 2 Tbs. capers, 1/3 tsp. oregano (just use a slightly heaping 1/4 tsp. if you do not have a 1/3 tsp. measure), 2 tsp. vinegar, 4 Tbs. oil (same for parsley or cilantro). I used very small purple potatoes, thinking the finished salad might look nice. It was my first time to use these potatoes and the dish was attractive. The potato bag said not to peal or cut them before cooking, so I boiled them whole then cut them as directed. Anticipating a move, my blender is packed so I made the dressing in a dish. I recommend others planning to make a fraction of the original recipe do the same. Squishing the cooked clove of garlic and combining it with everything else using a fork was very, very easy. Also, using the bowl method, I was able to get every drop of the dressing on the salad (which is hard to do if using a blender). I found the salad too dry and added a total of 2 Tbs. more oil and 2 tsp. more vinegar. In all seriousness, I really could have added more of both. Maybe it was due to the type of feta I used, French goat milk feta, which is creamier that the Bulgarian I normally buy? Anyway, when I make this recipe again, I'm going to put the oil/vinegar/oregano/garlic dressing over the potato mixture then stir in the crumbled feta cheese.
I have never liked potato salad, but I have to say, I loved this recipe. I left out the capers, and I think next time I'll add another egg. Definitely a recipe I'll use again and again! Thanks.
Everything was right in this salad, the capers, feta, olives and so on. I did add a chopped red onion, and as often with these dishes, this tasted even better the next day!!