Cook1 hr 15 mins
Goes great with warm grilled pita bread and a crisp Greek salad.
Make and share this Greek Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 8 cups water
- 24 ounces beef stock or 24 ounces broth
- 2 cups dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped mint (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil and saute garlic, celery, onions, and carrot until veggies are tender.
- Add the water, stock, and the rinsed lentils.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, along with the juice in the can, as well as the chopped herbs, and salt and pepper.
- Stir in the spinach and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes more.
- Re-check seasoning before serving.