1/2 Photos of Greek Lentil Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
Goes great with warm grilled pita bread and a crisp Greek salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 8 cups water
- 24 ounces beef stock or 24 ounces broth
- 2 cups dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped mint (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1In a large stock pot, heat the oil and saute garlic, celery, onions, and carrot until veggies are tender.
- 2Add the water, stock, and the rinsed lentils.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the tomatoes, along with the juice in the can, as well as the chopped herbs, and salt and pepper.
- 5Stir in the spinach and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes more.
- 6Re-check seasoning before serving.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.0
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 518.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 15.8 g