Greek Lentil Soup
photo by Cleanfreshcuisine
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 quarts water
- Place the dried lentils in a large bowl. Sort through and remove any shriveled up lentils. Pour cold water over to cover lentils and let stand at least two hours. Pour off water and rinse.
- Clean the garlic and thinly dice; chop the onion and thinly slice the carrots. Place the vegetables in a large stock pot with the olive oil and sauté for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and lentils.
- Pour in water and add seasonings. Turn heat to medium high and bring to a rolling boil, stirring frequently. Cover and turn heat to medium low and cook for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with a tossed green salad for a healthy, protein packed meal!
- Serves 6 to 8.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!