Greek Lentil Soup
photo by mforbes321
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup small whole wheat pasta shells
- 4 cups shredded swiss chard
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wash and pick over the lentils, and put them in a large soup pot with the water and bay leaves. Bring them to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Prepare the onions, celery and carrots, and sauté them in the olive oil until soft and slightly browned in spots. Add them to the lentils when the lentils are getting tender; after about 30 minutes of cooking.
- Dissolve the tomato paste in some of the soup water, and mix it into the soup. Add the salt, pepper and oregano.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of salted, boiling water until almost tender. Drain and add to the soup.
- Wash the Swiss chard well, and shred it finely. Add it to the soup, and simmer until the pasta is tender and the chard is bright green.
- If soup appears to be too dry at this time, add more liquid. (This should be a thick, stew-like soup, but, if heat is too high, there may be too much evaporation).
- When the soup is fully cooked, stir in 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Sooooooo good! This was very easy and I love how healthy it is. I added an extra 4 cups of water and didn't need to use as much oil simply because the skillet I used has a really good nonstick surface. It made so much I'm freezing the rest and plan to have it again later in the week. Thanks so much for a great recipe.
Made this awesome thick soup for dinner last night and was just what was needed on this cold night. Pretty simple to put together with stuff I had on hand and very hearty. I had to use macaronni pasta as it's all I had and spincach instead of swiss chard for the same reason. Also cut the servings in half as there are only the two of us. Served with great Italian bread and red wine - DH delcared it great, that coming from a man that rarily comments at all. Thanks Jenny for posting.