Uncle Bill's Tomato Soup With Feta Cheese
This is a very simple soup to make. It has a nice rich color and a lively flavor. Serve it with grilled pita bread cut into wedges for dipping. Grilled garlic bread is another great dipper, or Italian bread brushed with extra virgin olive oil and lightly grilled is also a good dipper.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped small
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or stock) or 2 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄16 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and saute' until very tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in flour and tomato paste; stir well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring slowly constantly.
- Pour in stock and mix well.
- Add tomatoes including liquid, oregano, basil and sugar and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree' the soup mixture in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth, then return to the saucepan.
- Bring back to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper or to taste.
- When serving, sprinkle some feta cheese on top as a garnish.
- Serve Hot.