So delicious !!
Make and share this Granny's Banana Cream Pie recipe from Food.com.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt; stir in milk and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from the heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; mix well; allow to cool slightly.
- Slice the bananas and place evenly in pastry shell; pour cream mixture over bananas.
- Cool; before serving, garnish with whipped cream or Cool Whip and bananas.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Wonderful!!! This pie filling will stand up to any I have ever tasted! Very easy to follow directions. I used bananas that were pretty ripe, so I only used two of them. The filling is very creamy, great homemade taste. I made whipped cream using heavy cream. It was fantastic!! This goes into my keepers file! Thanks NurseDi!!!
The second top rated banana cream pie recipe is almost exactly the same but the amount of milk in the other recipe calls for 3 cups of milk were this recipe calls for 2. I have made both recipe and find that using 2 cups of milk instead of 3 taste and firms up better.This recipe is basic yet so delicate. If you don't cook the cream long enough its a soupy mess but if you cook it too long the cream is to stiff. This is were one has to use your cooking intuition but for those that are not there yet I found that cooking the mixture over medium heat stirring constantly for 9-10 minutes then proceeding with step 3 made a perfect filling. I hope this helps. Oh and of course whole milk works best (its a cream pie). Thanks for posting!
Can I make my review for more than 5 stars? Yummy. This was an amazing pie and I don't usually eat nor make banana cream pie. I always go for the chocolate ones first. :-) But the suggestion from Peggy Lynn (very heavily, I might add)