Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 hrs
This is my updated, documented version of my grandma's delicious beef stew - care packages of it kept me going through cold Ottawa winters in university and always was a source of comfort. Now I'm attempting to return the favour! It really is a "throw in whatever you have" recipe, so have fun with it.
- 425.24 g round steaks
- salt and black pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion
- 3 large carrots
- 9 celery ribs
- 5 cremini mushrooms
- 2 large red peppers
- 354.88 ml chopped cauliflower
- 118.29 ml chopped green beans
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 340.19 g can no-salt-added corn
- 5 red new potatoes, halved or 5 red new potatoes, quartered
- 793.78 g can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 473.18 ml beef broth
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 1.23 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 44.37 ml ketchup
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 59.14 ml fresh peas or 59.14 ml frozen peas
- 51.76 ml Signature Secrets culinary thickener
- Cube the steak and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large, heavy pot (I used enameled cast iron).
- Add the steak and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil and bring back to temperature, then add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and peppers.
- Cook, stirring, for about 15 minutes, until they begin to soften.
- Add the cauliflower, beans, garlic, fresh tomatoes, corn and potatoes and stir inches.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and broth and stir in the salt, cocoa, allspice, cumin, thyme, paprika, Worcestershire, soy sauce, ketchup and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and add back the beef.
- Partially cover and cook, stirring every hour or so, for 3 hours.
- Cover the pot completely and cook, stirring every hour or so, for 3 hours.
- Stir in the peas and Veloutine, bring back to a boil and cook until thickened.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.