Recipe by mell_2
Adapted this recipe http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/04/gluten-free-pineapple-coconut-muffins.html I reduced the amount of oil and used applesauce instead.
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄4 organic coconut flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (or vanilla rice milk)
- 1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup diced pineapple, packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Spread the coconut rather thinly on a baking sheet and toast the coconut in a pre-heated oven for roughly 6 to 10 minutes, until slightly golden brown and toasted. Make sure to stir every couple of minutes to keep the coconut from over-browning. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in liquids.Mix until well blended. The batter will be thick and smooth, a bit sticky, but not too wet.
- Add in pineapple and coconut.
- Spoon the batter into twelve lined muffin cups. Bake in the center of a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes until domed and golden, and firm to the touch.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for a few minutes, then pop the muffins out of the pan (to keep them from getting soggy bottoms). Fabulous warm.
- Wrap leftover muffins in foil, bag, and freeze for optimum taste and texture.