Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
This is the result of combining my variation of Pastry Recipe for Pie Crust - Gluten Free for Gluten free pie crust and the French apple pie filling and topping from the 1990 Betty Crocker cookbook. This is by far the best gluten free pie crust we've had. It's lighter than a wheat flour crust, but even non gluten freers will enjoy it. Prep time includes refrigerating the crust before rolling out, but the filling can be easily prepared during that hour.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 ounces butter (or substitute margarine)
- 1 large egg, beaten (or substitute with 1/4 cup ice water)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or substitute with water)
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour, gluten-free blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (I prefer fresh grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 6 cups pared and thinly sliced tart apples (about 6 medium apples)
For Crumb Topping
- 1 cup flour, gluten-free blend
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup firm butter (or substitute margarine)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR CRUST: Combine rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, salt, cinnamon and xanthan gum in a medium size bowl.
- Cut in the butter with pastry blender or two forks, until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, apple cider vinegar and ice water.
- Gently stir the egg mixture into the flour, until it forms a ball.
- On a lightly rice-floured surface, knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Form into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for one hour (or freeze now for later use).
- After removing from the fridge, knead the dough slightly, if needed.
- Roll out between two sheets of lightly floured parchment paper (I use an $8 plastic, zippered pie bag from King Arthur Flour) then transfer to 9-inch pie plate.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- FOR FILLING: In large bowl, combine sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt. Add apples and gently stir to coat. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
- FOR TOPPING: In small bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter til mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, then cover topping with aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes more.