Recipe by GinnyP
This is so quick and easy to make, I usually make several loaves and freeze two. This is from Roben Ryberg's "The Gluten-Free Kitchen", the book that saved my sanity when first learning to bake gluten-free! : )
- 2 small ripe bananas (up to 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (extract or essence)
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (or 3/4 tsp xanthan gum)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional, but adds great flavor)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas well.
- Add egg, light brown sugar, oil, milk and vanilla flavoring.
- Mix well.
- Add potato starch, cornstarch, baking powder, guar gum or xanthan gum, baking soda, salt, and coriander; mix well.
- Batter will be thin.
- Pour into greased 9 x 4 loaf pan.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in middle tests clean.
- Allow to cool briefly before removing from pan.
- Refrigerate or freeze extra servings.
- Keep covered to prevent drying out.
- (When I freeze this, I do it in individual slices. Wrap each slice in saran wrap after the bread has cooled completely. Then place in a freezer bag. I use a straw to get all the air out of the baggie. Label and freeze.).