Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From BH&G Holiday Cooking 1997 this recipe freezes well so you might consider making a double batch-one for now, one for later.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- sugar, for topping
- pearl sugar (optional) or coarse white sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter or margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Stir together egg yolk, molasses, and milk in a small mixing bowl. Add all at once to center of the flour mixture. Stir with a fork till combined-mixture may seem dry.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough for 10-12 strokes or till nearly smooth.
- Pat or lightly roll the dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange wedges about 1 inch apart on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Serve warm.