Margaret's Casserole Carrots
I won a local cooking contest(Vegetable Category)with this spin on a retro BH&G carrot recipe. Hope you enjoy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine (I use butter)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup additional parmesan cheese, to top the casserole with
- Peel Carrots; slice crosswise on the bias.
- Cook, covered, in boiling salted water, until just tender, about twenty minutes.
- Drain thoroughly (this is really important).
- Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter,blend in flour, dry mustard, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly (This requires a bit of time).
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Combine cooked carrots and sauce.
- Turn into a one and a half quart casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and sprinkle with up to one half cup of additional parmesan cheese (depending on your taste).
- Bake,uncovered, for five more minutes or until desired browning is achieved.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made these last night and served with a pot roast. What a nice combo! I followed your instructions exactly, but I did add some white shredded cheddar at the end. Thank you for such precise directions. This dish is a definite change from just cooking steamed carrots. Thank you for sharing such a great recipe, Peggy Lynn! --Marla1Replies 1
see 4 more