Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Homey-good, and very different.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tart apples, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, 1/3 cup of the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 ¾ tsps of the ginger, remaining spices and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add 2 of the eggs, molasses and 6 tblsps of the butter and blend until just combined.
- Scrape dough into buttered 9 or 10 inch springform pan and, with lightly-floured hands, pat it evenly onto the bottom and 2 inches up sides of pan.
- Arrange the apple slices, cored side down, in concentric circles over the gingerbread.
- Sprinkle them with remaining ¼ tsp ginger and bake for 30 minutes, or until apples are browned lightly.
- Whisk together remaining 2 eggs, ¼ cup sugar, 4 tblsps butter, rind and lemon juice and pour evenly over apples, being careful not to let any drip onto sides of pan.
- Bake another 20-25 minutes, or until custard is just set.
- Serve at room temperature.
This was a great flan and I enjoyed it immensely. I just love the ginger taste in this. Thank you for a great flan.
We didn't really care for this unfortunately. And I was very confused about the flan part? I love flan and this didn't resemble flan at all...
This is very tasty. I had to substitute orange juice for the lemon (my lemon was very much past its best). Wasn't entirely sure what to expect and felt dubious about the amount of custard until I saw the gingerbread puff up and make the area to be filled with custard much smaller.